Friday, November 03, 2006

ramblings- thoughts for upcoming sermon

Editing is not happening this week...must ...keep...thinking...writing...cleaning up can happen later... this blog is my sketch pad. It does not have to make sense to the reader.

Expectancy is what is speaking to me from this weeks reading. I believe it will definitely be a sermon based on the old testament. It is not that I don't want to jump into the Gospel. There is certainly enough there for several sermons. Certainly I could probably condemn myself each and every time I put on the "clerical gear" and begin to think myself to important. Was not I honored to be the Bishops Asst at Matthews ordination this wednesday? Lord help me from my own ego. Let me not forget that Jesus warns the priests not to take the highest seat. We are called to take the lowest seat not because we are bad but because the master of the house might appear. Better to be asked to join the master than asked to get out of the high chair (high chair? interesting connection between babies and the levitical priests...ie any priest who forgets whom he or she serves. I may never be asked to sit with the Master but I would rather be asked to come up than kicked out of the way.

Then there is the widow and her mighty mite. There is her trust. There is her example. There is her witness that God does provide. There is her sacrifice...giving of her substance not excess. She would be a good sermon but I think even still it is the widow out of Exekiel who calls.

A few ideas which I want to put down. They might not make sense to any readers of this but I do not want to lose them.

* Start off sermon with sound...as sermon will be heard by examing chaplins it will be important to drown out any heresy- humor ???

* The movie The Rookie...movie about living into calling- scene where he realizes that he is doing exactly what he wants to do..."Today we get to play baseball"..."Today I get to be a priest" Focus on the sheer magnitude of our calling... this might be where I go with the sermon when trying to flesh out how Ezekiel applies. We are not to focus on the difficulties or if we do we need to keep them in context. The context is that if we stand at the pulpit or we sit in the pew we have been chosen...WE HAVE BEEN CHOSEN. How often do we act like the elder brother when the truth of the matter is that God calls us to share the amazing fact that we are to relish being chosen like the prodigal son. We have no claim to the kingdom but God's graciousness. "Today we get to play baseball" ...Today we get to share our lives with others. Today we get to share our talents with those who have not realized the gift that we have been given. It is also for them...those we meet. We get to be Christians! This is gifted ness. This is amazing and at present I am amazed I do not see it that way often.

*** Expectancy- the only time we really use that word is around pregnancy. "She is a mother expecting with child" " We are expecting to give birth in December" And the following is a little bit gross but a week ago when I took Benjamin to the Doctor he had a sore throught and the Dr said there was a little expectorant in his throat meaning that his sickness was seeping out something. Expectant...something that is beneath coming to the surface. Expectant...forthcoming. Expectant...something that is present but coming into being

Church is expectant. The sanctuarys that we sit in were once another churches expectant hope. Expectancy tied to vision...the working out of vision. Christs command to spread the Gospel...the acorn the very being of the tree which will hold hundreds/thousands of acorns...the already and the not yet...the working out of salvation history.

Part of Ezekiel is missionary. Ezekiel is giving away what he has... the widow can not see it. She is like the one (like so many around us) who do not see the hope or can allow themselves the trust of God in their lives. As Christians we are to witness it. We can not witness it if we do not live it. It is our living it that allows others to try it out.

That is all for now...this sermon will come. It will have life.

No comments: