Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The lectionary is alive with songs this week

Peace and blessings my brothers, and thanks for keeping this site going. I will be honest and say I had lost hope but good brother Scott renewed my spirit and so I report back to add few words about what I see, or in this case, what I hear.
It being Advent 3 we will be lighting the pink candle this week. I heard in today's Seminary Euch that it is meant to bring joy in the midst of our searching for Christ in our lives. As I look at the readings, I am pulled into song by the OT, the Response, and the NT. I think it is Hymn 678 for the First Song of Isaiah that is in my ears, but joining it is a song from the Sunday School at my field ed site, Rejoice in the Lo-ord Al-l-ways and a-gain I say Rejoice (clap clap). If you don't know it just ask me to sing it when you see me next.
But then the Gospel doesn't seem to want to be sung, does it? John, almost foaming at the mouth, begins a diatribe against the ever growing stream of folks who now are more interested in following the crowd than actually repenting and turning. It would be nice to hear this more loudly today, with so many putting up Christmas trees, lights, spending more than they have, and overusing Christmas carols before their time. It would be nice to hear that searching for Christ, for preparing the way, has nothing to do with following the crowd and everything to do with making space, making ready. We can be joyful only because we go through Advent. I for one will be singing Christmas carols starting on the 25th. Today's readings tell me my voice is better used for preparing, and that is cause for rejoicing.

1 comment: