Tuesday, April 25, 2006

even truth (BCP)

Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common.

My sister, 4, and I, 6, had the following fight on a trip from Lancaster, PA to Chicago, IL.

Lisa - Say the sky is green
Steve - the sky is green
Lisa - NO! the sky is blue!
Steve - NO! the sky is green!
and so on...

I feel like this is the fight that goes on each and every day within churches mainline and otherwise.
Theologian - Say the resurrection was a metaphor
Other Theologian - the resurrection was a metaphor
T - NO! It is an historic event!
OT - NO! It was a metaphor!
and so on...

We spend so much time an effort holding on to our possessions, not the least of which is (T/t)ruth these days, but to what avail? We ignore so much fighting over the color of the sky, fighting over stuff we're not even sure we believe, fighting over possessions. What would it look like if everything we owned was held in common? As a good capitalist I realize this would be a mess, but bear with me for a second. what would it look like if instead of holding tightly onto my Truth I opened my eyes and saw the bit of truth you hold? Seeing your truth, I might share with you mine, and we both walk away with a bigger piece of the truth pie than we had before. Eventually through conversation after conversation my truth piece will be enormous, so big that I cannot comprehend the depth of it, but a mere kernal in comparison with the Truth of the godhead.

What do you know that you might share with me?

No comments: