Monday, April 24, 2006

Hard, hard words- Ezekiel

Ah, you shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep? You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fatlings; but you do not feed the sheep. You have not strengthened the weak, you have not healed the sick, you have not bound up the injured, you have not brought back the strayed, you have not sought the lost, but with force and harshness you have ruled them. So they were scattered, because there was no shepherd; and scattered, they became food for all the wild animals.

I am this. These words strike deeply. These are words of challenge to be sure. They challenge in that shepherds are called to act as servants of others and not servants of self. How often do I find myself worried, consumed even, with ideas of taking care of self. What will my salary be? Will I be able to afford a large house? Will the church stay together that I may be eligible for the pension? Me, me, me

And Ezekiel comes slamming through in judgment: You have not strengthened the weak, you have not healed the sick, you have not bound up the injured, you have not brought back the strayed, you have not sought the lost...They were scattered

They were scattered. The sheep are scattered and God's judgment weighs down, "Do you love me? Yes Lord "Feed my sheep", Do you love me? Yes Lord, "Take care of my lambs", Do you love me? Yes Lord. "Feed my sheep"

Who would of thought that Jesus was speaking judgment to Peter?

No comments: