Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday 2006 - I am called to blog.

On Good Friday we are called to be like Thomas. We are called to live in doubt and fear. We are called to remember what it was like not only for the disciples, but for Jesus, the Son of God, God himself, who decended to hell.

As I write it is just past noon. The skies around Gathsemane have gone dark. The people who have mocked, spit, and scorned are now beginning to wonder; are now beginning to fear. "What if we got this wrong?" The disciples have scattered (hence the link above) and are now continuing to wonder; are now continuing to fear. "What if we got this wrong?" I sit in front of my computer, some 2000 years later, now wondering; now fearing, but my wonder and fear are a little different. "What if in all my business, all my field work, I miss the point? What if I forget to put my fingers in his hand and my hand in his side? What if I don't feel the sorrow and doubt before revelling in the resurrection?" I'm so thankful to have this place to read, pray, think, and write. For 15 minutes I am able to get out of my business and focus on my faith.

Today I am called to be like Thomas. I am called to fear and doubt. I am called to forget what I know is going to happen on Sunday and focus on the pain and sorrow of today. I am called to remember my role in the crucifixion. I am called to reflect on my God decending into hell.

I am called to blog.

1 comment:

Peter Carey said...

good stuff here, brother!

man, holy week sure is different as a proto-priest, I really have to make time and space to see God through all the busy- ness!

P