Friday, July 20, 2007

"I will listen to what the LORD God is saying, *for he is speaking peace to his faithful people and to those who turn their hearts to him."- from the psalm

"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ." From Colossians

"So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." from Luke

I am probably repeating my self from yesterday with these elements of the reading. They have captured me. The one that leaps off the page is the one from Colossians...the warning to not be taken in by philosophy or human traditions. This grabs me because in my experience it was so easy to be lifted high by ideology or intellect but to be left starving as a Christian. I think we must be wary of our own intellect...not because it is bad but, combine it with ego and all of a sudden we are looking down the well for God and seeing ourselves. It is easy to do. Because it is easy to do I must check even my own (by my mind -brilliant) observations through others. Those others, as Chesterton notes, should include the "democracy of the dead." I must check my convictions through the thoughts and observations that emerge in scripture and the writings of my brethren.

Of course none of this has anything to do with prayer, except for the fact that if I am not a developed 'prayer' then I must at least acknowledge the dependency upon prayer that both Jesus demonstrates and the people of prayer who passed on this "Christian" thing to me. I must acknowledge that my whole being, my whole existence as a man "of the cloth" so to speak, has been enriched by prayer. From the prayers of my Grandmother praying that I would not turn out to be to big an idiot during my teen years to the prayers of Thomas Merton whose prayers turned him to Christ which then led him to write. Churches have prayed for me. My family has prayed for me. Individuals have prayed for me. I can not assume that just because I have intellectual ideas that may or may not lead me into a life of prayer that my ideas are correct. I am more the recipient of this life as a result of prayer than my convictions about it. I must as Jesus so evidences, find time not to contemplate whether or not I should pray but PRAY. As last weeks Gospel so put it "Do this and live."

I pray that my humble thoughts on prayer or the collection of readings from this weeks leads not to an acceptable sermon about prayer but a life a prayer. Lord, you are the cause of deep currents. Give me courage to swim where you lead.

No comments: