Thursday, July 19, 2007

Persistence

"When I called, you answered me; *you increased my strength within me." from the psalm

"Mercy and truth have met together; *righteousness and peace have kissed each other. " from the psalm

"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have come to fullness in him, who is the head of every ruler and authority. " from Colossians

"I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs." from the Gospel of Luke

These are just a couple of things which grabbed my attention. What is central to me is this idea of persistence in prayer (a topic I am not all that well versed). My first sermon at Church of the Good Shepherd and I draw one of the big ones of the faith: Jesus on prayer. I once read a smattering from an over the top evangelist and he noted that Jesus does not teach us much about anything but prayer. Jesus calls us to prayer. Jesus receives us in prayer. What rings true at the moment is that line from the psalm. "When I called, you answered me, you increased my strength within me" Prayer is our call God calls. We discover that our strength is increased. We become able to bear what we have in front of us.

Yet I am also struck how prayer often is not our first response whether it is individually or corporately. What does a praying church look like? We are often very good at hospitality. We are often very good at thinking about the dispossessed. But are we praying for the strength to meet the needs of those who come amongst us or are we simply utilizing our own strength? Maybe we don't trust that prayer is where we should begin? Maybe we have not been taught? Maybe we think we think we are only speaking to ourselves? Yet today's gospel suggests something different. Jesus uses a story of the day to suggest that God likes to be asked. He is not maybe the cosmic Santa clause issuing out gifts left and right on a whim. He is more like the friend tucked in at night a little annoyed at being woken by the friends plea.

and Jesus does not simply say pray. Jesus says that we are to be persistent in our prayers. We are to bang at the door and nock! We need those three loaves of bread for our guest. We can not simply walk away at the first sign of resistance. God's quietude may not be the answer no but God's way of drawing us into dependence on him. He does seek to bless us yet do we seek the blessing. Jacob wrestles all night to get his. Do we? Dare I say, do I?

3 comments:

Peter Carey said...

Scott,

Dare I say, that I am glad you are back blogging; you are in my thoughts and prayers as the priesting approaches!

Peace to you!!!

Peter Carey
http://santospopsicles.blogspot.com or
www.petercarey.org

The Rev. Scott Petersen said...

Peter,
Thank you for your well wishes. It was nice to post again...it has been way to long.

Ok...how did you know that I had posted? Is there some way to be informed if someone posts on blogs that are not your own?

do tell

I hope NY continues to bring blessings. I am going to check out the santospopsicles blog.

Scott

Peter Carey said...

Scott,

Yea there is a way you can be notified that someone posted...I use "google reader" which scans a bunch of blogs for me and lets me know if they've been updated (I read a BUNCH of blogs this way...anglican communion, lectionary resources, news, a bunch...)

You can open up Google Reader, then once you set up your account when you're on a blog (or some websites), you can just click on the fancy orange box above to the right in your window where you write the website url (address).

Also, I think you can just type in your email address in one of the options under "settings" if you're an author of a blog, and then you get emails when people write posts or comment...

I hope I haven't muddled (muggled?) it all up for you...

Peace, Peter