Monday, January 30, 2006

And I questioned putting the Psalm in the readings? What was I thinking?

Grace continues to show that what I think is relatively unimportant. Today I am incredibly grateful for the psalm.

I have wanted to do something like this (ie the practice) for some time. I find synchroncity that in our beginning that this psalm stands out.

This seems to me proof that all of our leanings are seeking to better know our creator. "As the deer longs for the water-brooks, *so longs my soul for you, O God. "

This was the line that Dr. Jung highlighted to Bill W in a short communication. Dr. Jung, unknowingly, was a part of the creation of AA. The man who had helped Bill W get sober was helped by Ebby T. Ebby T had joined the Oxford Movement in the United States after Dr. Jung had told him that his only chance of ever quitting drinking was a complete transformation that could only be produced by a spiritual experience. Years later when Bill W contacted Dr. Jung for unknowingly helping them in the creation of AA, Dr. Jung commented to Bill that he believed the underlying root of alcoholism is the desire to know God. This desire goes astray through the pursuit of the earlthly "spirit" of booze. Dr. Jung in his letter quoted this Psalm, specifically "As the deer longs for the water-brooks/ so longs my soul for you, O God" to describe the alcoholic's central dilemma and opportunity.

What does this have to do with me today? I find it comforting that ten years later, pursuing a calling that I could not have imagined ten years ago, that in the beginning of an important work that this is the psalm that shows up first.

God is good.

No comments: