Thursday, February 02, 2006

BCP - Make it Difficult


"Father, if the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it? How much more, when all he said to you was, 'Wash and be clean'?"

Why do we make it so difficult? Elisha, a prophet of the Lord, knew just how easy this faithful living thing could be. Namaan in true human fashion however didn't.

I've spent a year and a half here at VTS wishing someone would make it difficult. I've felt that if God has called me to his service I need to suffer some to get there. And for this goal, I have indeed suffered. While some here suffer academically, I have been blessed to find the course load energizing. While some here find seminary to be a time of great spiritual depth, I have at times forgotten the God I came to serve. We each came with expectations, hopes, and dreams. These inevitably make things difficult, especially if what the reality is (as we percieve it) doesn't live up to our hopes. Why do I have to make things difficult? Why can't I trust God to make me clean by washing 7 times in the Jordan?

The answer for me is the same as it was for Namaan, pride. I really think I know what's best. I really think I know how things work? I really haven't got a clue, and neither did Namaan. We both want things to be difficult. We both want our way to be God's way, our thoughts to be God's thoughts, and be it thousands of years BCE or today the problem remains the same, we forget God knows best and we make things difficult.

1 comment:

The Rev. Scott Petersen said...

Let's not forget that he has leporsy! Certainly that is not easy. I would want to clarify that the way is easy only in our turning toward the creator and away from our thinking (pride). To me the answer is always the same. Turn toward God. I make it difficult when I fail to do that very thing.

Good post!