Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Trying not to run aimlessly

BCL

Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable one. So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air; but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.

This is a daunting little piece of scripture coming out of the Epistle. As one moving toward ordination this speaks to me. It speaks of moving into a greater rule of life. It speaks of spending more time in prayer. It speaks of a spiritual life that one grows into. I heard this yesterday from a friend but it applies here. He said "one of our difficulties is in training disciples. This is because being a disciple is difficult. The root word of disciple is discipline." Discipline is difficult. Paul wrote (and I may be paraphrasing) "the things I don't want to do I do" Discipline is difficult yet it rewards. As Christians in a culture that has a love hate relationship with the body we would be better served by a learyness of the body. (would a culture that really loved the body promote breast augmentation, liposuction, face lifts, tummy tucks, etc. etc or is this more a sign of self loathing?) I write this not to create a dichotomy between the spirit and the body. I'm not a Gnostic. God was enfleshed in the same body as I am enfleshed in. I write this in that my pursuit of the bodily needs can become the primary focus. One can only serve one master. How do I as a disciple, keep in check the instincts which I have? "Self-Control" is an answer. Self Control based in the faith that recognizes the giftedness of creation and also recognizes that when I loose sight of self control and begin to live for self over and above God I limit the gift for others.

No comments: