Tuesday, March 07, 2006

(BCP) One of these Generations...

... We'll get it right.

"I the LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Hasn't anyone since Moses brought the law down from Sinai gotten this right? To love God and keep his commandments doesn't seem that hard, and yet, we continue to mess up. The Israelites screwed up immediately. We screw up daily. And while we have a hard time accepting that God punishes us for our sins, it seems pretty clear that our discomfort while well founded isn't Biblical. It seems as though we aren't going to get this right, contrary to my title.

But, we have something Moses and the nation of Israel didn't, Jesus Christ who did love God and did keep his commandments. Because of Jesus we are shown God's steadfast love from day-to-day til "the thousandth generation."

Thanks be to God I don't have to do it on my own.

No comments: