Thursday, March 02, 2006

BCP- (sort of) "This is getting good"

All my blogging companions know how to post really neat Jesus pictures in their responses. I thought I knew all about blogging but, alas there is more to learn...

I'm a geek. I admit it. One might say "king of the dorks" but I'm not even cool enough to be king. Here I type/blog about the lectionary...Fool for Christ does not do it any justice.

The line that goes through my head after reading the ash Wednesday responses and admiring the Jesus photos is a line that imprinted itself on my psyche in my prepubescent state. Somewhere in my 12 to 14 year old life I must have watched the movie 16 Candles as many times as it was on HBO (which was a lot). I loved it. I thought at the time (and still like it even now) that it was simply the best movie. High culture was not something that I have ever been able to break into. The movie itself was crass, full of toilet humor, drinking teens, and underpants. I can't exactly remember where the line is in the movie but at some point in the movie the "king of the dorks" (Michael Anthony (?)) looks into the camera and announces "This is getting good." as he moves closer to the opportunity to "score" with the opposite sex. Needless to say for a boy of 12 to 14 full of the idiocy of youth and untried talents, any exposure to the opposite sex even via the movies was better than I was doing on my own. The movie for me captured the excitement of potential. Even the dorks score and there is a message of hope hidden there.

Yet I was even attracted to the sappy side of the movie. It was also a movie about holding out for your dreams. It told the story of a girl (who while tolerating the collection of geeks who followed her about) who desperately wanted to believe she was good enough for the "bohunk" who seemed out of her league. It ends of course with the girl getting the bohunk and the King of the dorks riding off in the great car with the blonde bombshell. What is not to like about this movie?

I'm not all that sure where I am going with all this. I barely know how all of this relates to the lectionary. My guess the line of the movie and the memory is tied to my sense of excitement (not the prepubescent kind...the spiritual kind) about being a part of this blog thing. I read two random responses about Ash Wednesday from persons I admire and while on the surface, blogging about scripture out into the websphere ranks pretty low on the "cool" meter, I could not help but get excited about the transformational quality of what we are doing. I could not help but feel that we are doing something important. We are doing something that reveals the spirit. We are, step by step, becoming. I could not help feel just a little that what we are doing here means something beyond the scope of our understanding here and now. So like the prepubescent kid looking out toward the hope and excitement of life of an adult, I look out to the hope and excitement of a life in Christ. The world may view me as a dork but I say,

"This is getting good"

2 comments:

spankey said...

Or better said in dork language (i.e. Convention-speak)

Be it resolved that Scott Petersen and the members of "Lectionary... Go!" see this blogging as spiritual practice thing getting good.

Great post Scott!

Peter Carey said...

16 Candles Rocks! There are just too many great quotes from that movie that are permanently singed into my brain ... and only a few are quotable online... I need to rent that movie!

and, how would a dork do in Hom3?
Yes, this is getting good. However, this what? It is hard to know what you're saying. Let us try to figure it out, this thing, ok.

;)