Thursday, March 02, 2006

But what about ourselves? - BCP


"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I spent Shrove Tuesday with a friend of mine discussing the unfortunate situation the Episcopal Church finds itself in heading toward General Convention 2006. What I realized is two-fold.

1 - Seminary, specifically my experience at VTS has done something I wouldn't have imagined, it has, for some tempered the polemic. As Peter mentioned below he believes he has been transformed. I too feel as though God has used seminary to move me forward. I was once a fundamentalist (or as close as you can get in ECUSA). Today I feel like I'm more of a post-conservative than anything else. But I have been tempered and my mind has been opened.

2 - And more to the point of this post, We have spent a lot of time trying to seperate one another from the love of God. In all the rhetoric and posturing of the past 3 years, it seems to me, that all we have accomplished is seperating ourselves from the love of God. In pointing out the speck in our brother (or sister)'s eye we become sinners, we turn from God. While I cannot cause you to be removed from the love of God, I sure as hell can do it to myself. I vow here to turn back, to face God, and to trust in his faithfulness. For it is through the faith of (in) Christ that we are saved.

No comments: