Wednesday, March 01, 2006

BCP- What was Abraham thinking?

"The fire and the wood are here, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" Abraham said, "God himself will provide the lamb for a burnt offering, my son." So the two of them walked on together.

Reading this caused me to understand a little bit Kierkegaards dilemma when reading of Abraham. What was he thinking here? Was he telling Isaac that God will provide a lamb meaning that Isaac was that lamb or was he holding out in hope that God would provide a lamb in exchange of Isaac?

And what was Isaac thinking here? You can almost see him put two and two together. It is kind of like him going "Hey Dad there is no lamb here? I don't really like where this is going."

My hope is that Abraham lived into the hope trusting in God's providence. One image that just popped into my head is that the Passion is part two of the drama that ends with Abraham's upraised knife.

No comments: