Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Psalm 4 (RCL)

Psalm 4 Page 587, BCP

1
Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause; *
you set me free when I am hard-pressed;
have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

2
"You mortals, how long will you dishonor my glory; *
how long will you worship dumb idols
and run after false gods?"

3
Know that the LORD does wonders for the faithful; *
when I call upon the LORD, he will hear me.
How long, indeed will I run after dumb idols, how long will I run after false gods? What about the idol of grades, trying to get just a few more points on my GPA, for what? So I can feel smrt? So I can gain God's salvation? What about the idol of filling up my time all the time? Who do I think I am, God?....isn't this idolatry, not obeying the Sabbath, thinking that my work is what gets me into the promised land? So, I read, I write, I rush to field ed, I rush home, I go to forums, I get pooped. Then there is a moment, when I am rushing down the GW parkway in my painted trashcan of a car when I see the created world, not nature only, but that I see nature as the creation, and I reflect upon my own created being, and I see that so soon the ashes will not just be placed upon my forehead, but that my entire earthly body will be ashes, and I will return to my creator. I remember Yoda in Empire Strikes Back referring to his body as "this crude matter" ... he had a sense that his creation was contingent (for him the Force, for us God).

In running after false gods, in making myself and my own study, busy-ness, and activity my idol, I do dishonor God's glory. Can't I see that this is just a short stop at the station of this world, and can't I accept the gift of the time here with gratitude and reverence?

1 comment:

spankey said...

nice subtle Simpson's reference. :-)