Friday, December 01, 2006

Paths, making paths, and allowing Him to come

the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness.
He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah,

"The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
'Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight."

You will have to forgive me if I wander off in the desert. I'm not exactly focused at present as I heading off to an interview. I write at this time to try and stay in prayer. It matters not the result of the interview. What matters is that I continue to strive to "obey" or to listen to God. It takes trust and as Steve revealed in his last post it is easy to go off ones own path.

In the Greek (and the only reason I know this is I have just completed a word study for my upcoming sermon...I don't want to come off sounding like those folks who actually know the Greek.) In the Greek the word for "word" here is Reheb and it refers to the Holy Spirit bringing into consciousness scripture. If this interpretation is correct it would mean that John received the word and it was Isaiah 40. He felt called to go out in the wilderness proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. John then is preparing the way for the Lord. What grabs me is to discern just what is the path? Is it John? or is it the Baptism of Repentance?

My gut tells me that it is the baptism of repentance. Imagine any people turning around in the expectation that God will be present. Imagine persons trusting, that by living out ofthe hope that God will receive them that God does so. I see this repentance (which in itself is being led by God) as a means to prepare the ground. Repentence then could actually be (and still be) the "making a strait path".

I can't be sure but even between yesterday and today this message makes sense to me. The effect of seeing and admitting that on my own, I am not enough led me to the conclusion that I needed to start praying more. Even by beginning to pray just a little tiny bit more I feel a greater connection and more peace.

Have I made a straiter path? If I have He has come. And that is good news!

So what I

No comments: