Monday, February 06, 2006

BCP - The Cosmic Pile-on

"Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob; but you have been weary of me, O Israel!...

But you have burdened me with your sins; you have wearied me with you iniquities."

I remember going to youth group at the CMA church in town with a buddy of mine. One night they tried to pop a quiz on us by asking who was the person we thought to be the closest to God. Or, in other words, who did we think sinned the least. People had the usual responses; the pastor, Mother Theresa, the youth director, etc. The point being, of course, that while these people did walk closely with God through Jesus Christ, they too sinned, just like we did. The pastor had a habit of driving too fast. The youth leader had little patience. Mother Theresa, well we didn't come up with much, but I'm sure she got pissed from time to time. Anyway, the point was that even those who walk closely with God, forget about his great mercy from time to time.

Fast-foward to today. I'm in my second year in seminary, learning to shepherd God's people in his direction, and still today I do not call upon the Lord in all I do. There are days when I become weary of this thing called faith. I pile my sins upon God daily (if not hourly). Each angry thought, unkind action, or curse word adds more weight to Jesus' back upon the cross. And yet, the great I Am blots out my transgressions and does not remember my sins. He does so for his own sake, for he loves me so much that it pains him every time I turn my back. What an awesome thing he does to stay in relationship with little old me. What an awesome thing he does to stay in relationship with all who come before him humbly, asking to be turned back, to see his face!