Tuesday, February 07, 2006

BCP - So Very Thirsty

"I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
The wild animals will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches;
for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people..."

I am thirsty. Literally, my mouth is parched and I really would like something to drink. Figuratively my soul languishes in the arid wilderness of the new semester. The image of water is so prevalent in the Bible. God gives water as a gift (from a rock) and as a curse (see Noah). God removes water as a gift (parting the Red Sea) and as a curse (see the move to Egypt). Here in Isaiah (which I have by no means exegeted) the prophet reminds us that God brings forth water when we least expect it. God makes rivers in the desert. God gives water in the wilderness. God wants his chosen people to drink so that they might declare his praise.

How hard it is to praise God while thirsty. Literally, my lips are parched and my voice suffers as I attempt to lift up loud shouts to him in Psalms. Figuratively my soul is dry and cannot pour forth blessing it has not itself ingested. As I get up from this desk to get myself a drink of water I am thankful that God makes rivers in the desert and gives water in the wilderness so that I might drink and declare his praise, literally and figuratively. Amen.

No comments: