Wednesday, February 08, 2006

BCP- This is when it gets interesting

Isaiah 43:18-25
Do not remember the former things,
or consider the things of old.
I am about to do a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?


I never perceive it. That is what makes it so interesting. I never ever perceive it. At 14 I'm in trouble- I have a religious experience which shifts my foundations. At 16 I read a book which leads to my going to Covenant House to serve. I want to stop smoking and ten years later I'm still involved in the 12 steps. I want to hike the Appalachian Trail and I end up on a boat back in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm lonely and want a date and eight years later I have a beautiful wife and three children. I go on a business trip in Missouri and I come back with a vocation. The day I return to Ft. Lauderdale from Missouri, I talk to my wife about my calling. We leave the house and go to the beach. On a whim we stop by Covenant House and happen to run into Sr. Eva who no longer works there and she becomes my spiritual director to help me discern my calling is true. You just can't script this stuff.

I do not perceive it. I do not perceive it.

It's not that God every once in a while makes things new. God is constantly making things new. How can we perceive it? It's seems far fetched. The new is a river in the desert!

This I think is why I'm coming to think Crisis (you name your favorite one) is not all that bad. One does not strive to create crisis. One should not shy away from crisis. Crisis just is. The reality is that God working things out is always profound. It's always happening. It is happening now. God is presently doing something with the church that we can not see. He is also doing something outside the church. God is not passive. Making things new is what Christ is about. God makes a way out of no way. Its not the crisis that we should focus on but the solution which we have yet to perceive.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you. I happened here by chance, but thought I'd read your blog anyway. It has actually helped me and i thank you so very much for sharing it.