Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Does Jesus draw ALL people? (BCP)

And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, you stretched out your arms of love on
the hard wood of the cross that everyone might come within
the reach of your saving embrace: So clothe us in your Spirit
that we, reaching forth our hands in love, may bring those
who do not know you to the knowledge and love of you; for
the honor of your Name. Amen (BCP 101)

Scott emailed me about this collect a couple of days ago. He mentioned that he knew I liked this collect, and I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic or not. It made me think for a while as to whether I do actually like this collect. I think I do.

As I read through the readings today it struck me how apt this collect is (even if it isn't used on 5 Lent). We go from a universalist statement by God in Jeremiah to Jesus drawing all people to himself as he is lifted up from the earth. Its hard to read this as an orthodox Christian in light of Jesus claiming to be "the way and the truth and the life." (Jn 14.6).

But then I come back to this collect. Jesus did bring all to himself on the cross, but there are still those who still do not know. We are charged by God to bring those who don't know what it is they see on the cross to a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. We do this so that God might be glorified as once again this Lent we recall Jesus being lifted up from the earth at once defiled and at the same time glorified. Even Christ the Lord.

No comments: