Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Sinner Redeemed (BCP)

Every high priest chosen from among mortals is put in charge of things pertaining to God on their behalf, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness; and because of this he must offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people.

I'm sure Peter can clear this up for me, but I seem to recall somewhere reading Karl Barth saying preachers are in a unique position of being a Sinner Redeemed talking to a group of redeemed sinners. Studying to be a priest, this sounds good to me. As Paul points to Jesus as the High Priest for all time in the order of Melchizedek (a priest even before Levi) he points also to me. No, I am not Jesus, but I am studying to be a priest. I am getting ready to put on a mantle that is thousands of years old, and for as long as it has been around, fallen, just like those who hold the position.

As I lead my congregation in the Confession, I too ask for forgiveness. As I (God willing) offer absolution, I too feel the power of God fill me. As I (God willing) offering thanksgiving in the Eucharistic Prayer, I too seek to find my strength in Jesus Christ, the high priest forever. In all these things I lead as a sinner redeemed a group of redeemed sinners. Hopefully I do so not presuming the honor, but called by God, just as Aaron was.

Now if I could just work on that part about dealing gently with the ignorant. DANG!

No comments: