Friday, March 24, 2006

My Burnt Offering (BCP)

Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice, *
but you take no delight in burnt-offerings...
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit; *
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise...
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
with burnt-offerings and oblations; *...

I preached a few weeks ago on God's coveant with Noah and found something quite interesting. Between the J and the E texts God makes his covenant with Noah, but across both texts God recalls the sweet smell of Noah's first burnt offering upon dry ground. It got me thinking, as did the Psalm about what my "burnt offerings" are this season of Lent. I guess blogging is one. Maybe getting back to regular chapel attendance will be another. Loving the roommate in spite of her inane nature should be one.

Yet what is my motivation for all of these? Are they offerings in which God takes no delight? Are they from a troubled spirit, a broken and contrite heart? Will God be please with these offerings? I think God will take delight in some of them, so long as their are pure motivations in my heart (read not just to get a big mansion in heaven). Yet, God doesn't need any of these. God has lifted up the once for all offering in Jesus Christ on the cross.

God may or may not delight in my offering, but in Jesus Christ, God will once again open my lips so that I might again proclaim His praise.

No comments: