Monday, March 20, 2006

Shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life! (BCP)

Create in me a clean heart, O God, *and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence * and take not your holy Spirit from me (NRSV)

We just looked at Psalm 51 in OT2 two weeks ago, much to everyone's displeasure. Psalm 51 is not an easy psalm to handle. Attributed to David following the Oracle of Nathanel (2 Sam 12). What really struck me was how trite "Create in me a clean heart..." has become for me. This really hit home when I read Eugene Peterson's translation

10God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
11
Don't throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me. (Ps 51 - The Message)

Looking at depth of sin in David's life brought me to my own. Sin so deep that it requires God to take another 6 days to refashion it. Sin and chaos that requires a Genesis week to fix. Yuck. But God doesn't throw me in the trash. God does not fail to breath holiness in me. Sure holiness hurts, but God's love feels so good.

Create in me a clean heart, O God. And renew a right spirit within me.

No comments: